Filed underDaily J PM
DETROIT (WWJ) – A combination of tips, community involvement, police work and DNA helped collar the suspected serial rapist identified as 31-year-old Raynard Coleman.
Six warrants were approved Monday by the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office and were announced during a news conference at Detroit Police Headquarters.
Charges include multiple counts of first-degree and second-degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, and armed robbery, and felony firearms.
Coleman has been in police custody since last week and was scheduled to be arraigned later Monday.
While authorities are confident they have their man, Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Jerry Dorsey is not elaborating on the specifics. “We will not comment on the quality of the quantity of the evidence against the defendant,” Dorsey said.
“Suffice it to say, that the law enforcement agencies along with our sexual assault teams, and the …prosecutor’s office helped bring this case to the forefront. We will get into court and try it,” he said.
Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr. credited science, in the form of DNA evidence linking Coleman to six victims, who were sexually assaulted between Jan 1st and Jan 14.
“This is one of those, I think, moments in Detroit’s history when people, again, say ‘enough is enough’… We’re just so relieved at the work the community did,” said Godbee, giving special recognition to the State Police Crime Lab, Crimestoppers and the community activist group Detroit 300 for canvassing community during the investigation.
“When the community, the police agencies work together in collaboration, we are a tremendous force,” he said.
The victims were between 17 and 33 years of age, all but one were attacked at bus stops, all late at night or early morning hours.
Defense attorney James Galen Jr. said Monday he hadn’t spoken with Coleman since the charges were announced.
“There’s no such thing as an open and shut case. They may have a very strong case against my client. I have no had access to the discovery materials in this matter. I have no had access to my client in a private matter so I can discuss with him the specifics of the crime,” Galen said.
“It looks like it’s going to be an uphill battle,but I’m going to give it my best,” he said.
He has said his client denied any role in the assaults when interviewed by police.
Coleman served 14 years in prison on charges including assault with intent to commit murder and assault with intent to rob while armed.
He was arrested January 19th on a parole violation. Coleman faces multiple life sentences if convicted.