Matt Dery’s Random Thoughts 2-8-11
1. I am very happy that the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl.
Not because I am some huge “Cheesehead” or Packer fan per se, but because the team handles itself with class and dignity. Pro sports now have turned into such a sideshow at times and a “ME” game and the Pack players are pretty cool and stress “team”. I know Nick Collins received an excessive celebration penalty for his touchdown slide to the ground Sunday, but, other than that the Green Bay guys play the game right, do not talk, and I think they represent the NFL very well.
2. Pistons are at home tonight to host the Spurs. This is a game I look forward to every year because I like watching San Antonio play in person. They are so well-prepared, well-drilled, and well-coached, and they are another team that “plays the right way”. One of their assistant coaches, Chad Forcier, told me years ago that I would not believe how professional the organization is… from the top on down.
Should be an interesting game tonight.
3. As far as Rip Hamilton goes, I am officially done trying to figure this situation out. It is obvious that Hamilton has the ear of certain writers and no matter if the veteran guard is stretching the truth or not, Rip is making it known that he “just wants to keep being a professional”. I don’t know if the team knows what is going on anymore from a day to day basis with Hamilton. I will say it again:
It is best for both parties if he is sent someplace else and fast.
Maybe a buyout could be in the cards IF the team is sold soon. I’ve been told it is close with Tom Gores, yet, I have heard that before.
4. Great game down at Calihan Hall last night as the Detroit Titans knocked off first place Cleveland State 81-78. I know that college hoops is really not embraced in this area, but, fans are missing out if they have not been to Calihan or to the O-rena in Rochester to see Oakland U. Lots of talent on both teams and both coaches are excellent. The only team we seem to discuss much on The Ticket is MSU and those kids seem to not care. Trust me, the Titan and Grizzly players really give great effort. Scouts from the Pistons, Jazz, and Thunder were all at the UDM game last night.
5. Snoop Dogg introduced “Weekend at Bernie’s” last night for those of you scoring at home. I know you are.
6. No article in the newspapers today about maybe the Tigers trying to deal for Michael Young, but, there is a Casey Crosby lather. I swear I think sometimes the local writers get a side-check from the team. Must be nice for the Tigers to get all of that free pub.