Prosecutor: Restaurateurs Tried To Kill Competitor

SHELBY TOWNSHIP (WWJ) – Two Macomb County restaurateurs are charged with seriously injuring a competitor they were apparently hoping to persuade to get out of the business.

Prosecutor Eric Smith brought assault with intent to murder, extortion and witness intimidation charges against brothers Giuseppe and Girolamo D’Anna, owners of Tirami Su Ristorante in Shelby Township.

Smith contends the brothers stormed into Nonna’s Italian Kitchen near 23 Mile and Schoenherr at closing time on April 28th and beat owner Pietro Ventimiglia, striking him on the head 11 times with an aluminum baseball bat.

According to police, during the beating, Giuseppe allegedly told Ventimiglia that he was going to kill him “so the problem would be over.”

Following the beating, Giuseppe shouted that if Ventimiglia went to the police, he would kill Ventimiglia’s children and his parents back in Italy.

Ventimiglia had recently expanded his restaurant from a seating capacity of 40 to 90. Nonna’s is located across the street from Tirami Su.

Arraigned Monday, each of the D’Annas are charged with assault with intent to murder (life felony), extortion (20-year felony) and witness intimidation (10-year felony).  The

Giupseppe D’Anna’s  attorney has said it was essentially “a family dispute.”  He said his client plead not guilty and has posted bond.

According the Detroit News,  Nonna’s general manager said Pietro is recovering and the restaurant remains open for business.

A hearing is scheduled for May 16.

  • John

    WOW – I have been to Tirami Su many times, both for take-out and dining-in, and have enjoyed each time. But I will NEVER go there again, now that this has happened – I would guess they will be shut-down within 6 months because of this. I have been to Nonna’s once, and it was one of the worst experiences eating out I have had. My meal was obviously microwaved, and my son’s meal was tasteless. Hopefully they have improved since then.

  • Brothers Reach Plea Deal In Restaurant Beating « CBS Detroit

    […] Mile and Schoenherr at closing time on April 28th and beat owner 35-year-old Pietro Ventimiglia, striking him on the head 11 times with an aluminum baseball bat. Prior to the attack, Ventimiglia had expanded his restaurant from a seating capacity of 40 to […]

  • Federal Charges Filed Italian Restaurant Rivalry « CBS Detroit

    […] 2011, the brothers pleaded no contest to assault in the baseball beating of Piero Ventimiglia. adsonar_placementId=1557448;adsonar_pid=2728767 […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Best Winter Festivals In Metro Detroit
Thanksgiving Parade Guide

Watch & Listen