ALGONAC (WWJ) –  Police say a six-hour standoff with a barricaded gunman in Algonac has ended after the man was forced out of his home with pepper spray and subdued with a taser.

According to investigators, a call to the Algonac Police that was originally a domestic disturbance escalated dramatically to a barricaded gunman situation and concluded with an arrest and minor injuries to the suspect.

Algonac Police Chief Richard Torongeau responded to a home on Clay Street around 1:00 pm Thursday.  While en route, they were advised that the suspect, a 55-year-old Algonac man, had pointed a long gun at his adult son. The man’s wife and son had exited the home and called 911.

Clay Township Police, the Sheriff’s Office Special Response Team (SRT) and the Port Huron Police SRT were called in for backup and a perimeter was set around the house. Members of the Sheriff’s Office Hostage Negotiating Team also went to the area and began talks with the suspect. An armored personnel carrier arrived at about 4:45 pm while talks with the man were continuing.

The man continued to refuse to give himself up and shortly after 6:00 pm, fired several rounds from a long gun at the armored personnel carrier, which contained several deputies and officers.

A ram from the armored personnel carrier was used to open a window in the residence and several rounds of pepper spray were shot into the residence.

At about 7:00 pm, the man came out of the residence. However, he was still resisting and had to be tasered to be subdued. He suffered minor injuries at that point and was taken into custody.

“I was extremely impressed in how seamlessly the two department’s SRT teams worked together to bring a successful resolution to this situation,” Sheriff Tim Donnellon said in a written statement. “Once the suspect began firing at the officers, this could have ended in a much different way.”

Members of the Sheriff’s Office Detective Bureau, the Sheriff’s Office-Port Huron Police Major Crimes Unit, Port Huron Fire Department Tactical Rescue, Algonac Fire and Rescue and Tri-Hospital EMS also assisted at the scene.

The suspect was held briefly at Algonac Police Department, taken to Port Huron Hospital to be checked, then transported to the St. Clair County Intervention and Detention Center.  He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday afternoon on several charges, including felonious assault and attempted murder.

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE