Michigan Lawyer: Car Bomb Attack ‘Horrific’
MONROE (WWJ/AP) – A Michigan lawyer who survived a car bomb with his two sons says the attack was “horrific” but the boys are recovering well.
Erik Chappell issued a statement through his law firm Friday, his first comments on the explosion. He and sons Grant and Cole were riding in the family Volvo when a bomb exploded Tuesday in Monroe, 35 miles south of Detroit.
The 42-year-old Chappell says his family has been “uplifted by the support” from the public. He says it shows that “good will always overcome evil.” Chappell also thanked law enforcement for working to try to solve the case. No arrests have been made.
Chappell said his sons are making progress in their recovery.
On Thursday, three local Catholic schools held a prayer vigil for the family. There, the boys’ principal talked to reporters and said their mother reported they were feeling well enough to watch cartoons and had been asking for their homework. (More on this here).
The Associated Press contributed to this report.