‘Tis The Season For Holiday Safety; Remain Alert For Suspicious Activity
LANSING (WWJ) – As Thanksgiving kicks-off the busiest travel and shopping time of year, Michigan State Police Emergency Management and Homeland Security Division is reminding citizens to be on the lookout for any suspicious behavior or activity and immediately notify law enforcement.
To ensure everyone stays safe this holiday season, it is important for citizens to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings, as these simple measures can help prevent violence from occurring, said Capt. W. Thomas Sands. If an individual sees something that appears suspicious or out-of-place, they should immediately notify law enforcement.
Remaining vigilant can be as simple as paying more attention to where you are, knowing how to react if something happens and recognizing potential indicators of suspicious activity or behavior.
In addition, while entering buildings and moving around a facility, remember where you are located, what floor you are on and where the nearest emergency exit is, including stairwells.
Citizens should be on the lookout for several indicators of suspicious activity, including:
- An unattended object or one that appears out-of-place, especially in crowded or public areas.
- Individuals exhibiting strange or abnormal behavior.
- Someone entering or exiting blocked or unauthorized areas.
- Individuals who quickly leave when seen or approached.
- A strong odor coming from a building or vehicle.
- Someone tampering or interfering with surveillance cameras.
- A vehicle that seems out-of-place.
- Someone taking photos, videos or drawings of high-profile or highly populated buildings or structures.
- Exposed wiring or other abnormalities.
When reporting suspicious activity, include as much information as possible such as the description and number of people involved, including gender, age and a physical description, what the individual(s) was doing as well as the location, date and time.
If you see something suspicious, immediately call 9-1-1 for emergencies. For non-emergencies, suspicious activity can be reported to Michigan officials by calling 1-855-642-4847, online at michtip.state.mi.us, or by contacting local law enforcement officials.
Additional information about holiday safety and reporting suspicious activity can be found at www.michigan.gov.