Nick Carter Gets It His Way In Pontiac: ‘A Spectacle With Music’

Nick Carter, 31, bad boy singer from the Backstreet Boys, is bringing a new tour February 10 to the Crofoot Ballroom in Pontiac to support his second solo album “I’m Taking Off.” Tickets are on sale here.

Carter’s sister Leslie Carter, 25, died suddenly Wednesday in upstate New York, but Carter announced the show would go on. “Performing is cathartic to me and I am dedicating the rest of my tour to my sister since she loved to watch me perform,” the singer said in a statement released through his publicist Wednesday.

The show in metro Detroit is special because Carter agreed to a backstage visit with 30-year-old Sarah Cheek, a longtime fan who was recently diagnosed with fourth stage breast cancer — after her husband reached out and said it would be her dream come true. What should she expect?

“We’re just going to have fun,” Carter said, in an interview that happened a week before his sister’s death. “It’s going to be a great experience… They ask questions, and you have to feel the situation out. You never know what you’re going to get. Sometimes they’re shy. Other times they’re open and want to know everything. You just have to fun with it. I’m a normal guy. To them it might seem like I’m not …But I’m a normal guy.”

After 10 years of alcoholism and drug abuse, Carter revealed in 2009 he had a serious heart condition — cardiomyopathy — that could have led to death if he continued on a destructive path. But he’s now clean and sober.

The former flame of Hollywood socialites and honoree as one of People Magazine’s “Most Beautiful People,” spent time with CBS Detroit a week before his sister’s death to talk about his health, his new album, the tour, and what comes next.

Tell us about the tour — Is it predominantly new music or hits from the Backstreet Boys?

There are definitely going to be some hits. I was fortunate to have created a great album. I’m performing a bunch of my new songs, some from my first album, some remixes. It’s a show. You’re coming to see a show. No dancers, I don’t have choreography. It’s more of a rock environment than a pop environment. We have costumes, space helmets and space costumes. It’s a show, a spectacle with music.

You recently lost 65 pounds, does that make it easier to keep energy up for shows night after night?

I definitely have to stay fit. It’s the main thing. I love fitness, it’s the key to health and happiness. It’s the key to mental stability. It keeps my blood flowing, I’m able to think clearer. I love being active. I feel younger now than when I was 21.

Is there anything about your new album “I’m Taking Off” may surprise fans?

One thing is they’re gonna be surprised at how good the music is. That’s the thing, I’m not boasting, but I’m saying that I’ve come from a band called Backstreet Boys and one thing for sure we’re accustomed to getting great songs, great pop music, Music that can be remembered. I follow those principles. It gives them a chance to peek into my mind. It’s my diary. It’s true experiences. If you’re pulling from real experiences, it’s entertaining

We know the Backstreet Boys reunited in 2007 and have toured several times with NKOTB. What’s the status of the group now?

We’re gonna be doing another Backstreet Boys album, we’re starting to record in February and March, so we’re doing that whole process and we’re going on tour in April with NKOTB over in Europe. Australia, Indonesia, China — and take that over for a couple of months, that’s what on the horizon. After that we’ll probably release the Backstreet Boys album.

You briefly had a reality show with your five siblings in 2006 — would you ever do that again?

Not really. Especially after I’ve embraced acting as a true art form. It’s not for everyone. The reality kind of exposes you, and you don’t have control over it. You see what happened with the Kardashians. It bites you in the butt. I tried it. But I don’t want to do it again. I’d rather be taken seriously. I’m writing screenplays, producing, directing and acting.

What advice would you have for young singers about hitting it big?

I don’t give advice. Just have fun.

Who’s your role model in the music world?

Honestly, I have four role models: Four of the guys in my band. They’ve been role models for me for a while. No matter what, I always had to depend on myself and make the changes myself. When you understand that no one can help you but you, that’s when (you get it.)

You discussed writing a self-help book. What would the title be?

Yeah. We’re talking right now. Dr. Phil’s son and I were in some sessions, nothing’s confirmed. There was a lot of interest from both sides on doing this book. I don’t know (the title). My experiences in my life, things that were good, things that were bad, choices that ultimately affect you. It’s sort of like that.

1. priyankam1996 says:

doing great Nick! Happy Birthday!:D

2. priyankam1996 says:

Doing great Nick! Happy 32nd Birthday!:D

3. Leslie says:

His birthday is tomorrow and yes he is doing AMAZING!!!! I wish the tour was coming close to me!

1. Leslie says:

Sorry forgot some people are ahead of us – lol

4. Dita Eriana says:

such a gift given to Nick.. always wish your good be better n your better be best – Happy Birthday! (it’s already Jan 28th here in Jakarta :) )

5. Piper says:

One thing—the Backstreet Boys took a break from 2001 to 2004 when they reentered the studio for 2005’s Never Gone. They have continuously recorded and toured since that time–they did not “get back together in 2007”. Most recently they toured with NKOTB for one of the top grossing tours in the US this last summer and will perform with them on the European leg of the tour. They’ve been quite busy for the last 7 years!!! Anyway—HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICK! We’re proud of you!

6. lhenie riman says:

7. JoyVillaverde says:

happy,happy birthday Nick!!!
    Take Care Always…
    I hope to see you again performing here in the Philippines…
    We love you…

8. Krystal Hill says:

Must they ALWAYS mention the fact that he was Paris Hilton’s ex? I’m truly tired of reading his name and hers in the same sentence. It was 8 years ago, MOVE ON!

Secondly,I hope he has a wonderful 32nd B-Day tomorrow. :) Whoever’s going to the shindig tomorrow, have fun!

9. Esther Esther says:

Happy Birthday NICK!
    Your I’M TAKING OFF CD is my treasure..
    I would never throw away your album..
    NICK’s intellectual & spiritual side is so sexy..^_^
    Be healthy! from Seoul Seoul

10. Tatiana Cruz says:

Happy Birthday,Nickolas!!!!!

11. nap says:

happy bday nick!!continue doing good,godbless,luv ya!!

12. sybil says:

happy birthday nick carter 32 great time your
    call me tooerrow night seve 7;30 cell phone girlfriend sybil
    lam dream you yes nick carter date me girlfriend sybil carter
    valentie day next mouth day date girl friend sybil carter wife
    special RING 7 size A flower RED white
    new CD IAM TAKE ING OFF CD girlfriend wife sybil carter

13. sybil says:

nick carter special boyfriend nivk carter
    txt me back cell pohine girl friend sybil
    nick carter call me n night 7;30 cell phone girlfriend sybil carter
    nickcarter be my valentine yes day 14 girl friend sybil
    red flloower ROSE girlfriend sybil
    RING 7 size name on sybil carter nick carter toegther

14. Esther Esther says:

LESLIE……She is 25……..I can’t sleep..

15. sybil says:

nick carter my favorite boy friend nick carter
    nick carter call me night 7;30 cellpgone girlfrend sybil
    face booktweitter egg figirlfriend sybil carter
    nick carter valentine date 14 february thursday next week 6;30
    girlfriend sybil carter
    cell phone blue name sybil carter@ nick carter

16. sybil says:

nick carter best boyfriend nick carter\
    text me back cell phone girl friend sybil
    face book tweitter egg sybil carter
    nick carter call me night 7;30 celll phone girl friend sybil