Journal Entries Get Older Student Suspended From Oakland University

ROCHESTER (WWJ) – A suspended Oakland University non-traditional student says he was kicked out for saying he found his instructors attractive.

Joseph Corlett, a 56-year-old student, wrote about his teachers in a journal he was keeping for class.

In a letter from the Dean of Students last month, Corlett was charged with Unlawful Individual Activities.

WWJ spoke with Adam Kissel, from The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, the group helping Corlett appeal the school’s decision.

“They decided they were going to keep him off campus make him get a certain amount of psychological help and not be allowed to enroll in classes for three semesters. So they abused their discretion,” said Kissel.

In other journal entries, Corlett described sleeping in the nude with his gun and making a fellow female student uncomfortable when he looked up her number and called her home.

Oakland University could not be reached for comment.

Comments

1. Kathleen Pfeiffer says:

There are many more facts to this case than the few that Mr. Corlett has presented to various media outlets in his attempt to raise publicity for himself. The University Conduct hearing in which Mr. Corlett was found responsible for repeatedly and deliberately intimidating his professor and another student in the class considered a range of evidence, not just his writing journals. Moreover, Mr. Corlett had a history of inappropriate classroom and campus behavior prior to this event. His case was reviewed by a committee of faculty and student representatives, and University procedures were followed to insure that Mr. Corlett received a full and fair hearing. Please do not mistake this for a free speech issue: it is not. This is a case where a student’s pattern of deliberate and repeated intimidation led to his suspension.

2. Jorge Rodrigez says:

This is poor journalism at its worst. As Kathleen said above, there are many more facts to this case. I urge everyone to check out the Oakland Post’s version of the story, which had access to many more facts and was also the first news outlet to break the story: http://oaklandpostonline.com/2012/02/10/campus/suspended-student-disputes-disciplinary-action/

3. John Wallace says:

I’ve encountered Mr. Corlett on numerous occasions at OU. Frankly, I’m shocked he made it to age 56 before something like this happened (or perhaps this isn’t the first time). On several occasions, I’ve witnessed him harassing and intimidating female students with his abrasive behavior. Either this man is incapable of recognizing the inappropriateness and creepiness of his behavior, or he is knowingly unwilling to temper it.

4. Tom Friendly says:

Joe is a 56 year old who regularly intimidates women (and occasionally men in a different manner) much younger than him because he’s clearly overcompensating for something. This doesn’t really need to be debated or anything, this was a long time coming.

5. Don Farner says:

You’re a very accomplished internet troll, aren’t you, Joe? Is this just a case of taking your game to the next level?

Following your case closely, as I have, I’m beginning to suspect you wrote those provocative and inappropriate journal entries with the intent of causing a stir, knowing full well it would attract attention and give your controversial, and frankly crazy, beliefs a platform to stand on.

The problem is, you’re so wildly delusional and aggressive that you can’t be taken seriously by anyone. I hope this is worth the aggravation to you. Absolutely nothing will come of this and you’ll simply have alienated yourself from a lot of people even further.

6. AG says:

When you harass other individuals and make them feel uncomfortable, you’ve stepped outside the bounds of First Amendment rights. Mr. Corlett, this type of aggression is not acceptable–quit using the First Amendment to defend your inappropriate behavior and realize what you’ve done wrong.

7. Robert Conner says:

I have to agree with Mr. Wallace on this issue. I too have had experiences with Mr. Corlett on campus, and on repeated occasions have bore witness to his intimidation of fellow students. Mr. Corlett has repeatedly used classroom discussion times in my class with him to make other students uncomfortable with sexist and borderline racist comments. I am, frankly, not surprised this hasn’t happened sooner.

8. Bruce says:

Joseph “Kowboy” Corlett is posting on all corners of the internet spreading his one-sided account of the events. I would encourage everyone to take a quick look around and discover the type of internet footprint he has left in recent years.

Here’s a little gem of comment he made on a website called http://www.mywriterscircle.com:

Corlett: “Several years ago I was at a customer’s home alone and was working in the basement wherein lay the laundry. She was an attractive middle aged blonde. A bright colored thong called my name and I responded. Unfortunately, they were from the clean clothes bin, as I discovered later, much to my disappointment. I smuggled them out and stored them in my Sawzall toolbox, knowing my wife would never look there.”

Is there any doubt what kind of man Mr. Corlett is?

9. Adam Kissel says:

Creeping Someone Out Does Not Equal Threats or Intimidation http://thefire.org/article/14166.html

1. gshell says:

mentioning your pistol while creeping someone out definitley equals threats and intimidation

10. laserline says:

Joseph is also known as “Kowboy” when he is “trolling the internet. Here is a link to some of his finer work http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=26308.120

11. Adam Kissel says:

‘Hot for Teacher’ Student’s Appeal Denied: Suspended for Writing an Essay http://thefire.org/article/14285.html

12. buy vpn uk says:

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have learn this publish and if I may just I wish to counsel you some interesting issues or advice. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this article. I want to learn even more issues approximately it!

13. spiritual business says:

Hello There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is a really neatly written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

14. racunovodstvo says:

Thanks , I have just been searching for information approximately this subject for a while and yours is the best I’ve came upon so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure concerning the supply?|What i do not understood is actually how you’re now not really a lot more smartly-preferred than you may be now. You’re very intelligent.