Election 2016: Clinton, Trump Debate For First Time [MORE] [LIVE CBS REACTION] [LISTEN LIVE TO WWJ]

Santorum Blasts Penn State, Says Grades Were Docked For Beliefs

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum made waves recently with a speech criticizing President Barack Obama as a “snob who wants everybody to go to college.”  Santorum called colleges “indoctrination mills” in another speech.

But he took the anti-university stance further during Charlie Langton’s special Republican primary show on Talk Radio 1270 on the eve of Michigan’s primary, where Santorum said he was harassed for his beliefs during his college years at Penn State University. Santorum has a bachelor’s degree, an advanced law degree, and a master’s degree in business administration.

“Do you want your children to go to college?” Langton asked.

“I’m very careful about the colleges and universities our children go to,” Santorum said. “There are schools, I went to one — Penn State — that’s one of the liberal icons, unfortunately it’s gotten a lot worse. I can tell you professor after professor who docked my grades because of the viewpoints I expressed and the papers that I wrote, there’s no question that happened.”

“Your grades suffered because of your views at Penn State?” Langton asked

“Absolutely, absolutely,” Santorum said. “I used to go to war with some of my professors, who thought I was out of the pale, these are just not proper ideas. This is not something that’s not unusual, folks, I know this may be a surprise to some people … There is clearly a bias at the university.

“Saying there’s a bias at colleges, liberal, is like the French inspector in “Casablanca” saying “Oh my, gambling is going on here, the fake surprise, this is common fare.”

Santorum went on to say Obama shouldn’t urge people to get college educations, adding, “Only 29 percent of people in America go to college and graduate, that means a lot of Americans aren’t getting that four-year degree and by the way they’ve contributed greatly to our country. Look at, I think it was Bill Gates or Steve Jobs who didn’t go to college.

Langton asked if he regretted  using the word “snob” to describe politicians who support higher education.

“If that’s the worst thing I get called (as president), then I’m a happy man,” Santorum said. “We’re talking about an idea that has persisted throughout this presidency, he believes he knows better about what people should do with their lives.

“This is this attitude that the elite in society can tell the rest of us how to live our lives. This is reminiscent of the country that we left where the nobility is going to sort of dictate to the masses.”

Hear the entire interview below.

More from Charlie Langton
Comments

1. Matt says:

An anti-education stance is something he shares with the Taliban.

2. Bill Perry says:

Santorum is off the charts crazy. He finds fault with anybody and anything that differs from his eccentric point of view. Good thing he’ll never get the nomination. Nah, instead it will go to the other fringe character Romney.

3. Jim says:

Maybe Penn State actually required Santorum to understand some science, something he clearly failed at. He can put that down to docking him for his beliefs except that science is based on facts and if you don’t like the facts you still have to know them.

4. Rachel says:

“This is this attitude that the elite in society can tell the rest of us how to live our lives.” WOW, and he doesn’t want to dictate all of us with his freaking Bible?? REALLY? That’s all I ever hear is religious rhetoric!

1. Barry says:

Absoultely right. His whole campaign is predicated on everyone following HIS interpretation of the bible. Go away, Rick.

5. zach says:

momma say d-d-da-dat school is da devil…perhaps santorum should look into a role for the next waterboy movie..moron

6. rmm5520 says:

Wow, you know what, Santorum? The feeling is mutual. Penn State wishes you’d disassociate yourself.

7. bsf5033 says:

As a current Penn State student, I gotta say, this is the most conservative campus (other than religious schools) I have ever seen. Everyone I know (grad students mostly) who previously attended other universities says PSU is FAR more conservative than any of those other schools. Perhaps it wasn’t that way when Santorum was here, I don’t know, but I think the likely answer is he’s so conservative that he considers anyone who doesn’t accept that X occurs because God said so to be “liberal”

1. Ken H. says:

Santorum is an idiot. It was just as conservative 20 years ago. He was just a bad student.

8. Jeff says:

The Republican Party is taking the country back to the 19th century. The GOP has become the revived Know-Nothing Party in more ways than one.

9. cosmicfish says:

Mr. Santorum.

First of all, given the level of intelligence you have so far demonstrated, I think it is far more likely that you were just wrong.

Second, within the context of a college education it is sometimes necessary to penalize people for their beliefs, especially when they insert them in the incorrect places. For example, I fully support the decision of your biology professors to penalize you for answering evolution questions with “God did it”, or anthropology professors for your decision to refer to all non-Christian peoples as “heathens”.

Finally, as a Penn State alum myself, could you PLEASE start lying about where you studied? Say you went to Orel Roberts – it will score you points with your base.

10. D. A. says:

And for what it’s worth, both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs went to university (Harvard and Virginia, respectively). Bill Gates didn’t graduate because he started a multi-million dollar business (a la Mark Zuckerberg).

At any rate, how can anybody vote for a man that’s against higher education? Sure, we can all have jobs if we don’t go to college/university — we’ll just be working for other countries.

11. Matt says:

Is it possible that this MORON even went to class? Let alone formed an opinion that was criticized by a Liberal Professor!

12. Edwin says:

As a Penn State student who has taken Politcal Science courses, it should be known that many of the professors in the department tell stories of how Mr. Santorum had to ask what party he should be affiliated with and that his only claim of fame is starting a club for a Presidential nominee who had no chance even in the primary. The whole department thinks that he is unqualified and they are right. As for the department, it is a mix between conservative and liberal. The school as a whole leans more conservative mainly due to the surrounding area and the students coming to the school due to the high tuition costs.

13. CMB says:

Personally I think Santorum is running to be the next Willard Preacher, not President of the US. See what I mean: http://www.associatepublisher.com/e/w/wi/willard_preacher.htm

14. Linda B. says:

Rick Santorum is an embarrassment to PSU. His entire platform is based on family values and yet, 3 years after Jerry Sandusky was investigated for alleged child abuse, Santorum nominates Sandusky for an award for his work with The Second Mile.
    He then goes on to criticize Penn State for their handling of the situation? I wonder how he thinks he got to his position as Senator. Do you suppose your education had anything to do with your success, Mr. Santorum? I don’t know where my daughters will go to college, but the message that my husband and I have been delivering them since they were old enough to understand is that the WILL go on to an institution of higher education. They aren’t aware that there is any other choice. I think that’s responsible parenting.

15. Lori says:

Hey Santorum, do I have someone for you! her name is Anne Riley.
    You’d make a great pair – you should BOTH JUST GO AWAY and never speak the words “Penn State” again.

16. Ken says:

Maybe you didn’t need a college education to get a decent job at one point in time, like the 1950s, but now people need them more than ever especially because a lot of those jobs that required little to no higher education were eliminated by the recent recession.

17. Mary Smith says:

Like many of the comments above, I am currently a Penn State student- an International Politics major specifically. As a person who is about to graduate, I have not experienced the supposed grade altering that is discussed above. I have however been challenged by my professors to play devil’s advocate to my own arguments. Their goal is to teach you the subject matter not play into your specific party affiliation or views. At the end of the day you have to receive a grade, if your topic is well researched and argued your professor can’t simply take points off. If Mr. Santorum thought he was being graded unfairly he could have simply gone to the department head at PSU. Or he could have transferred if he felt he wasn’t receiving a proper education.

A question I would like to ask Mr. Santorum is how he can encourage young adults to not attend higher institutions when his life has so obviously been enriched and bettered by his education. If it is a question of monetary value, then perhaps he could argue that colleges are too expensive or not accessible to the majority of the population. If the United States wishes to continue to develop high preforming individuals to succeed in todays globalized economy then higher education for more than 29% of the country is required. The world no longer runs on the industries of the 1960s, the highly technological and engineering fields are developing and developing fast. Not to mention that the United States doesn’t exactly have a great share in this field today.

What this truly sounds like is Mr. Santorum using a viewpoint (against higher education) to further distance himself from a school that has potential to bring down his approval rating because of the events in the last year.

18. Tom says:

Hey friend I love your blog!

19. imofanopinion says:

LOL I am stunned This man is so blinded about himself. This is exactly how he comes across…knowing what is best for others. As to his college…he likely simply got poor grades and is using this biased agenda as an excuse.

Then there is ““There are lots of jobs that people can do that don’t require a college education … that require vocational schools, training.” I am guessing this is him talking about all the 99% that do not have his income level?? I doubt very much if his children are signed up for vocational schools.

I just feel ill knowing that he is making monies off of the citizens and that we had to support hsi needs for the Secret Service. I would personally prefer to se him getting a job in the soup kitchens where the poor and needy have to listen to sermons to get fed.

20. garmin nuvi 1300 says:

Thanks for another informative website. Where else could I get that kind of info written in such an ideal manner? I have a challenge that I am just now working on, and I have been on the glance out for such information.