‘No Knock’ List Would Keep Away Solicitors

ROYAL OAK (WWJ) – After the murder of an 80-year-old woman in her home last fall, the City of Royal Oak is looking into possibly adopting a so-called community “no knock” list in an attempt to tighten the limits on door-to-door solicitors.

WWJ Newsradio 950 spoke with Royal Oak City Attorney Dave Gillam.

“A homeowner would have the ability to have their name and address put on that list. And, essentially, that would make it illegal or unlawful for a solicitor to approach someone at that address for commercial purposes,” Gilliam said.

Nancy Dailey was murdered in her house on November 20, allegedly by two parolees who authorities said did lawn work for her prior to the murder.

Gillam said a tougher ordinance could do some good, but it might not have made a difference in Dailey’s death.

“If people wanna do bad things, they’re gonna find a way to do bad things anyway. Having a no knock list isn’t a complete safeguard for anyone,” he said. “It may be another tool in the toolbox, but it really isn’t the answer. And people always need to be careful and always need to be attentive.”

Molly, who lives in downtown Royal Oak, said it’s “ridiculous” how many people coming knocking at her door – either soliciting, passing out fliers or just trying to get her to sign something.

She said that on a Saturday, depending on the weather, it’s not unusual to have two or three people come knocking. “It can be scary,” she said.  Molly said she and many of her neighbors would sign up for a “no knock” list.

Gillam said his office should have a formal “no knock” plan before City Council for its consideration by the end of April.

Would you put your name on a “no knock” list? Comment below.

Comments

1. AeroJack7 says:

How about having all solicitors banned unless you have a “Solicitors Welcome” sign on your door? That pretty much eliminates freedom of speech issues.

2. jksu2 says:

This is unconstitutional! Remember years ago that Jehovah Witnesses went to court over door to door soliciting.

3. really! says:

Isn’t it already illegal to KILL.

4. TF says:

NO TRESPASSING
    NO SOLITORS
    Violators will be shot
    Survivors will be shot again.
    For profit and non-profit.

Works very well. Our town had green river policy for vacuum salesmen etc. but Congress said let them knock! Town said to post sign. I did. It falls under Freedom of Speech…what’s left of it anyway.

5. TF says:

SOLICITORS lol.

6. wheredtheygo says:

i just let my pit bull Thor get the door . by the time i get to the door nobody’s there!!!!

7. Tim says:

Since early last century the “Green River Ordinance” has been in place in many small towns and cities throughout the country. It prevents door-to-door solicitation. Nothing new or illegal about it. Just depends on what the citizens want.

8. minfxbg says:

I have 4-part ‘do not knock’ process:
    1. Dogs barking is the first indicator to not attempt to sell me anything
    2. If # 1 does not deter, I tell the salesman “No thank you.”
    3. If #2 does not work, I throw you into the street
    4. If #3 does not work and you come back, I shoot your ass.

9. Rocket Man says:

Once again, the knee jerk political dolts seek to fix the symptom vs. the root cause of the problem – in this case another canary in the proverbial coal mine known as the broken criminal justice system – with the two murderous paroles the canaries. When will we wise up as a nation and start holding people accountable for their actions and make thme pay the full price of their behavior. Do gooder lbleeding hearts are getting innocent citizens killed and the politicians want to ban anyone knocking on your door. Geesh!!!

10. Hunter Todd says:

I have a professionally made sign on my front door that states “No Soliciting of Any Kind.” And the door-to-door salesmen, churchies, etc. still keep pounding on the door.

I used to point at the sign and ask them if they could read English. Now I just don’t bother going to the door.

1. Harleyxx says:

Church people don’t fall into the legal category of soliciting. You need a No Trespassing sign. That is the only thing that legally prevents someone from entering your property or knocking at your door.

11. Harleyxx says:

The best thing Detroit could do is to vote the Democrats out of office.
    They have ruined this once great city.

12. homeeducators says:

Another thought would be to execute murderers.

They tend not to kill again after their special ‘rehab’…

13. Stewart says:

LMAO! “I think I will go murder someone today”, “wait, I can’t because of that law that says I can’t knock on the door.” Whoa is me. Are you kidding?

14. Howard Gottlieb says:

Probably something that needs to be done but I wonder how it will affect school kids trying to sell fundraising products door to door in their neighborhood?

Howard Gottlieb

15. candidates needed for ema jobs says:

I just could not depart your website prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual information a person provide in your visitors? Is gonna be again often in order to check up on new posts

16. garmin nuvi 1300 says:

Attractive component to content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing in your augment and even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly rapidly.