Bonfire Explosion Kills Brother And Sister During Graduation Ceremony
ST. CLAIR TOWNSHIP (WWJ) – A St. Clair County family is grieving after a brother and sister were killed Saturday night by a bonfire explosion. It happened on Gratiot Road during a graduation party for 18-year-old Savannah Blewett.
Her brother, 27-year-old Christopher Blewett, poured gasoline on the wood — only to have it explode when Savannah put a flame to it, police said.
“He’s a grown adult, who put the — constructed the pit,” St Clair County Sheriff’s Tim Donnellon said. “You know … it’s an accident; this is not a situation where somebody … threw a 5-gallon can of gas on a bonfire with people sitting around. It was not something like that. This was strictly just a terrible accident.”
Several other people were hurt, but are expected to be OK.