DETROIT — A reminder that that Detroitnet.org, a networking group for IT professionals in metro Detroit, will hold its second annual “Support the Troops” event on Thursday, Dec. 13 at Rochester Mills Beer in Rochester Hills.
The event will gather electronics like iPods and other asked-for items to be shipped to soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines from Michigan. One featured unit is a troop of 25 National Guard troops from Michigan who just arrived overseas (more information about their location will be disclosed at the event).
More about the effort at www.detroitnet.org/index.php/2689/support-michigan-military-families/. And more about the people helped last year at www.detroitnet.org/index.php/category/meet-the-troops/.
At the Dec. 13 event, participants can bring cash checks or other items as follows:
* Candy, gum and jerky. (No chocolate — it melts in transit.)
* Small (emphasis on small) containers of baby wipes (it’s a dusty country and it can be a while between showers).
* iTunes gift cards.
* Toothbrushes and small (emphasis on small) containers of toothpaste.
* Crossword puzzle books small enough to fit in the pockets of cargo pants
* Ear buds — apparently they break, get destroyed and clogged up constantly, and are hard to find in Afghanistan.
* Computer headphones — the kind you’d use for Skype chats, with a microphone. Also apparently hard to find in Afghanistan.
Also sought are any old (but still functional) iPods. Again, they tend to break, get destroyed, and get all clogged up with sand constantly. Also again — fairly hard to find in Afghanistan.
Do not bring anything gift-wrapped, wrapped in any way/shape/form, taped up in a box, or anything like that, because anything going to the troops has to be inspected first.
Full details and other FAQs may be found at www.detroitnet.org/index.php/4556/dec-13-2012-faqs/