DETROIT — Visitors to the North American International Auto Show will see major renovations at the show’s home, the Cobo Center, designed by the world leader in convention centers, Atlanta, Ga.-based Tvsdesign.
The company says the new design significantly revitalizes Cobo Center for the NAIAS and other upcoming events, incorporating visible and behind-the-scenes elements.
* A light-filled atrium that features a dramatic new view of the Detroit River and Canada. That river perspective will carry through the renovation of Cobo’s arena, ballroom and meeting room wing.
* A design that preserves elements of the existing building, removing the arena seating and creating new floorplates for meeting, banquet and exhibition spaces.
* Functionality and marketability have been increased by upgrading spaces and incorporating state-of-the-art technology — including an expansive video wall.
Tvsdesign is the lead designer for the Cobo renovation. The firm has designed more than 60 exhibition and convention centers around the world, including the latest expansions at four of the five largest in the United States and three of the most prominent in China.
Cobo Center Details:
* Renovation to be completed in multiple phases while facility remains in operation
* Functionality and marketability has been increased by upgrading spaces and incorporating state-of-the-art technology
* Incorporating “adaptive reuse” strategies, the former arena has become a new 40,000-square-foot ballroom
* More show space (an additional 25,000 square feet added to Oakland Hall)
* A new riverfront atrium adds 30,000 square feet of new circulation space, currently used by the auto show for presentations and exhibits.
* A giant animated display video wall now welcomes visitors at the main entrance
* New, stronger audio-visual and theatrical capabilities increase the capabilities for presentations and marketing at special events
* A new 4,000-square-foot in-house production studio has been added to accommodate cars and other elements on the studio floor
* Sustainable initiatives reduce energy and operating costs
Tvdesign worked with the architectural firms Albert Kahn Associates, SDG Associates and Rosetti on the Cobo Center work.
Tvdesign’s convention center work includes McCormick Place in Chicago, the Geogia World Congress Center in Atlanta, Music City Convention Center in Nashville, Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Long Beach (Calif.) Convention and Entertainment Center, the Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia, Pa., the China International Exhibition Center in Beijing, the Tianjin Neijiang Convention Center in Tiangin, China, the Nanjing International Expo Center in Nanjing, China, the Ningxia Conference Cetner in Yinchuan, China, and the Puerto Rico Convention Center in San Juan, Puerto Rico.