Local

Barricaded Gunman Situation Ends Peacefully In Detroit

View Comments
(Credit: Kathryn Larson/WWJ Newsradio 950)

(Credit: Kathryn Larson/WWJ Newsradio 950)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DETROIT (WWJ) - A barricaded gunman who kept police and SWAT Team members at bay for six hours has been taken into custody.

The situation unfolded around 4:30 a.m. Saturday at a residence on Gladstone and Third streets on the city’s west side.

Inspector Nick Kyriacou said what started as a domestic violence issue escalated when the suspect began firing shots at two women.

“One of the two females was able to escape the home. Officers rendered aid to her and we then initiated barricaded gunman protocol. Subsequently, we were able to get another occupant out of the house from upstairs, the female who had been apparently held against her will inside the house momentarily,” he said.

Kyriacou said the gunman was difficult to deal with because he wouldn’t answer his cell phone, a normal negotiating procedure.

“Normally, we try to get a cell phone number. Unfortunately, he would not answer his cell phone, it went right to voicemail,” he said.

The gunman, who was not identified, was taken into custody when SWAT Team members forced their way into the house and apprehended him.

“Of course we had to negotiate the situation, but the individual that we were looking for refused to come out of the home. But we sent our special response team inside and they were able to apprehend him,” said Lt. Erwin Barron.

Barron said one officer received a scratch on his eye during an altercation with the suspect while taking him into custody. That officer is expected to make a full recovery.

The suspect was identified only as a man in his 30s with a criminal record. Formal charges are pending.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,974 other followers