Evacuation, Fire At Old Macomb County Building

MT. CLEMENS (WWJ) – The Old Macomb County administration building on North Main Street will be closed until further notice after a fire in the basement.

Firefighters in Mount Clemens had to call in help from three neighboring departments to battle the blaze that prompted an evacuation Wednesday morning.


The fire was contained by 11:30 a.m. and no injuries were reported.

The new administration and circuit court buildings will remain open. All county services will continue to operate; however, some services may be limited.

Talking to WWJ Newsradio 950’s Ron Dewey at the scene, Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel said there is concern that some vital records still housed in that building could be damaged.

“We’re just hopeful that they’re going to be able to put it out before any real damage takes place, because there are some things we have in there, in particular  dealing with our data center that, you know, we are very concerned about,” Hackel said.

Hackel said the fire took out the communications systems between the new administration building, the county courthouse, and the old county building where the fire originated.

All phones and computers were down.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the fire.

A portion of Main Street in Mt. Clemens near the building was closed to traffic.

  • http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/04/25/old-macomb-county-building-to-remain-closed-for-years-after-fire/ Old Macomb County Building To Remain Closed For Years After Fire « CBS Detroit

    […] CLEMENS (WWJ) – Instead of months, the Old Macomb County Building that caught fire last week is now expected to remain closed for two years for needed repairs and […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Best Winter Festivals In Metro Detroit
Thanksgiving Parade Guide

Watch & Listen