ANN ARBOR (WWJ) – The University of Michigan Hospital cracks the top 25 in the annual US News and World Report’s list of Best Hospitals for 2013.
The list ranks up to 50 hospitals in each of 16 medical specialties. To show how exclusive the list is, just 147 out of nearly 5,000 U.S. hospitals earned national ranking in one or more of the specialties.
The U-M Hospitals and Health Centers were ranked nationally in 12 specialties, and listed as “high performing” in the four other specialties.
Here’s the specific breakdown of U-M’s specialties:
- Ophthalmology — #11 in nation
- Urology — #14 in nation
- Ear, Nose & Throat — #15 (tie) in nation
- Rheumatology — #15 (tie) in nation
- Cancer — #24 in nation
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery — #30 in nation
- Diabetes & Endocrinology — #31 in nation
- Gynecology — #34 in nation
- Gastroenterology — #35 in nation
- Pulmonology — #36 in nation
- Nephrology — #38 in nation
- Geriatrics — #41 in nation
- Neurology & Neurosurgery — High Performing
- Orthopaedics — High Performing
- Psychiatry — High performing
- Rehabilitation — High performing
Locally, U-M Hospital care was ranked as the best in Michigan. This is the second year in a row that U-M has topped the statewide ranking, and the third that it has also topped the metro Detroit ranking.
Below are the report’s top 10 hospitals in the metro Detroit area:
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers — Ann Arbor
- Beaumont Hospital — Royal Oak
- Harper University Hospital — Detroit
- Henry Ford Hospital — Detroit
- Beaumont Hospital — Troy
- Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center — Dearborn
- Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital — Commerce Township
- Sinai-Grace Hospital — Detroit
- Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital — Wyandotte
- St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor Hospital — Ypsilanti
To see complete rankings of the best hospitals, visit www.usnews.com/best-hospitals.