Lightning Strike Causes Fire At Historic Sawyer Homestead
MONROE (WWJ) – A lightning strike during the early morning hours caused a fire at a historic home in Monroe.
A dome that sits atop the Sawyer Homestead was struck around 2:30 a.m. Saturday. Homestead president Jeanne Micka says someone was in the house at the time but he made it out safely, as did all of the artifacts.
“The policeman that lives upstairs was awake and heard it hit – the neighbors heard smoke and called the fire department,” said Micka. “I must say the Monroe Fire Department and the police force were just outstanding – they did everything they could.”
The Sawyer Homestead was the military headquarters for American troops before the Battle of the River Raisin in the War of 1812.
Micka says there’s no timetable yet on repairing the damage.