DETROIT (WWJ) - There IS such a thing as a free lunch, at least there is on Friday in Detroit.
“Hopping John” black-eyed peas and East Indian Spicy Red Beans over rice are just two of the free dishes on tap as the Detroit Public Schools holds it’s 2nd annual “Taste of DPS Multicultural Expo.”
The expo takes place at four school sites between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Aug. 23. All parents, students and district residents are invited to enjoy food, sights and sounds from the varying cultures representing DPS. including Latino/Latina, Bangladeshi, Hmong, African, African-American and Middle Eastern.
During the expo, guests will experience international cultures, receive exciting gifts from community partners, and have the opportunity to eat lunch at each school.
Lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. *The menu will be the same at each site.
The ethnicities that will be represented at each school site include:
- Roberto Clemente Academy, 1551 Beard, the Latino/Latina culture will be explored with food, artwork, gifts and more.
- Detroit International Academy, 9026 Woodward, students and parents will experience Bangladeshi and Hmong cultures.
- Marcus Garvey Academy, 2301 Van Dyke, attendees can enjoy the sights and sounds of African and African-American cultures.
- Priest Elementary-Middle School, 7840 Wagner, students and parents will learn about Middle Eastern cultures.
Other attractions during the Taste of DPS Multicultural Day:
- Gleaners Food Bank will provide a free food distribution at Priest at 10:30 a.m. and Marcus Garvey Academy at 11:30 a.m.
- Tender Care Mobile Dentist will provide free basic dental care at Roberto Clemente Academy throughout the day from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- A mini workshop will be held at Detroit International Academy titled, “Gardens to Go.” Participants will receive free fruit and vegetable seeds.
- Free immunizations will be offered at Marcus Garvey from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., sponsored by St. John Providence Community Health.