Gifts For Movie Lovers: Collectible DVD Box Sets
By Sandy Cohen, AP Entertainment Writer
LOS ANGELES (AP) - In a world of on-demand video and movies shrunken to the size of smartphone screens, home-entertainment releases need something special to stand out. The following box sets offer more than movies for every cinephile on your holiday list.
For the superhero enthusiast:
- The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector’s Edition includes writer-director Christopher Nolan’s three Batman movies – “Batman Begins,” “The Dark Knight,” and “The Dark Knight Rises” – plus two new short features that go behind the scenes of the popular trilogy. Collectors will especially love the three Hot Wheels vehicles (the Tumbler, the Batpod and the Batmobile), collectible art cards of Scarecrow, Bane and others, and a 48-page book of production stills and other backstage shots from the three films. (Warner Home Video, $99.97.)
- “X-Men”: The Adamantium Collection comes with a replica of Wolverine’s claw and all six “X-Men” films on Blu-ray: 2000′s “X-Men (2000), 2003′s “X2,” 2006′s “X-Men: The Last Stand,” 2009′s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” 2011′s “X-Men: First Class” and the summer blockbuster “The Wolverine.” (Fox, $129.99.)
For the traditionalist:
- The James Dean Ultimate Collector’s Edition pays tribute to the enduring screen idol who died in a 1955 car crash at age 24 with a limited-edition set that includes three documentaries about the actor, plus the three films he made during his short career: “East of Eden,” “Rebel Without a Cause” and “Giant.” (Warner Home Video, $99.98.)
- The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Collector’s Edition takes fans down the yellow brick road with a limited release, five-disc set that features the film in all formats (DVD, Blu-ray, UltraViolet, etc.), along with a new documentary, set of three collectible enamel pins, a map of Oz and a hardcover photo book. (Warner Home Video, $105.43)
For fans of political suspense:
- The Jack Ryan Collection comprises four films featuring Tom Clancy’s ultra-sharp CIA analyst: 1990′s “The Hunt For Red October,” with Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin; 1992′s “Patriot Games” and 1994′s “Clear And Present Danger,” starring Harrison Ford; and 2002′s “The Sum Of All Fears” with Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman. (Paramount, $29.99 DVD, $49.99 Blu-ray)
For the funny bone:
- The “Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy” Rich Mahogany Edition gift set is a sweet indulgence in the silliness of the Will Ferrell film. It includes a two-disc Blu-ray of the original 2004 film, along with a voucher to see the sequel, “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues,” plus a coupon for a free pint of Ben & Jerry’s “Anchorman”-inspired ice cream flavor, Scotchy Scotch Scotch, and a t-shirt that reads, “I’m Kind of a Big Deal.” (Paramount, $29.96)
For the kids:
- Rise of the Guardians: Holiday Edition comes with a windup toy elf and various behind-the-scenes features about the making of this story starring a tattooed Santa Claus and other holiday heroes, including the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. (Paramount, $24.99.)
© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.