The Ultimate List Of Holiday Dieting Tips
DETROIT (WWJ) - While most of the holiday season as “the most wonderful time of the year,” many people who absolutely dread this time.
For those who are watching their waistlines and trying to lose weight, the holiday season can be some of the most stressful times because of the never-ending temptations that creep up at each and every holiday event they attend.
Even simple shopping trips and family gatherings can lead to overeating because, during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, most tend to throw their weight loss goals out the window and figure they can start over come New Year’s Day. This mentality has led to the average American’s waistline slowly increasing each year with an average holiday weight gain of one to three pounds during the last two months of the year alone.
The authors at RatingDietPlans.com have compiled a detailed list of tips and tricks to help you steer clear of holiday temptation. The list focuses on ways to avoid temptation, and focus on people at the gatherings instead of the food.
Many of the tips can also be carried into the rest of the year, and implemented when attending functions such as weddings, birthday parties and other special occasions.
- Watch the Alcohol — Alcohol is not your friend when dieting. The more alcohol you consume, the more your inhibitions will be lowered, thus leading to increased food consumption.
- Make Substitutions in Recipes — Try to change recipes to make them as healthy as possible.
- Take It Slow — If you eat quickly, you may be overeating and not even realize it until it is too late. Slow down and savor each bite instead.
- Find the Vegetables — In order to avoid overindulging, try to fill your plate with at least half vegetables.
- Opt for the White Meat — White meat is often healthier, providing more protein and less fat per serving.
- Fill Up on H20 — Consuming a tall, cold glass of water before each meal will help make you feel full faster so you don’t eat as much.
- Opt for Roasted or Grilled — Roasting or grilling vegetables, meat and poultry is an easy way to limit calorie and fat content in recipes.
- Scan and Plan — Do not immediately reach for the first appetizer tray you see. Walk around and check out all your options before you indulge.
- Stay Active — Make time to go to the gym or at least wake up early for a quick walk or jog. Staying active helps prevent excess weight gain.
- Eat Something Before You Head Out – Never arrive hungry! By eating a light snack before attending a holiday function, you will keep your metabolism working effectively.