Gas Leak Blamed For Explosion, Fire At Westland Service Station
WESTLAND (WWJ) - No one was seriously hurt, but a Westland service station is a total loss following an explosion and fire.
It happened late Monday morning the Citgo on the corner of Ann Arbor Trail and Middlebelt, while a mechanic worked to repair a vehicle.
Stanley Dapkis told WWJ’s Sandra McNeill that he brought in his 2001 Chevy van to have a broken fuel pump fixed.
“I just walked out the place and down the street,” Dapkis said. “When I turned around, I seen all the flames and smoke — so I guess it was my truck since they were taking the gas tank out.”
“It’s not a good day,” he added. “I just lost everything, my truck and my tools.”
Assistant Fire Chief John Adams said they believe a mechanic was removing the gas tank from that vehicle when fuel discharged and a spark ignited a fire. ”Now you have gas flowing out of the fuel tank , so it was moving pretty rapidly in there,” Adams told WWJ’s Beth Fisher.
“On the positive side, for the technician is that he was able to get out of that area with little or no injury.”
Westland Fire Chief Michael J. Ready said, however, an investigation is ongoing.
“We’re not saying yet that the tank was the cause,” Ready said. “The attendant heard a flash and then he turned around and the gas station was on fire.”
Cleanup continued into the day Monday, as fire crews worked to put out hot-spots.
The owner of the gas station declined to comment.