DETROIT (CBS Detroit) Most fans probably guessed it was coming — the Detroit Tigers announced fans will face walk-through metal detectors at all Comerica Park entry gates and access points starting with Opening Day 2014.
In addition, all streets around Comerica Park will be restricted from any vehicle traffic. Additional information is posted and updated on tigers.com.
“This initiative is another step in our enhanced guest security and safety measures,” said Mike Healy, Vice President of Ballpark Operations. “Safety is paramount and we want to strike a balance between safety and customer convenience. Most importantly, we are being proactive to ensure we create as safe, comfortable and enjoyable environment as we can. Statistically, walk through metal detectors allow for guests to enter more quickly and effectively into the ballpark than hand wands.”
Major League Baseball guidelines mandate a screening program be implemented at all MLB ballparks by 2015.
The Tigers recommend ticket holders arrive early to allow ample time for this new security procedure.
Gates will open at 5 p.m. for 7:08 p.m. games, 11:00 a.m. for 1:08 p.m. starts and 2 p.m. for 4:08 p.m. games. The two hours before game time will afford patrons more time to enter the ballpark and also the opportunity to watch part of Tigers batting practice.
All streets around Comerica Park will be restricted from any vehicle traffic. Since 2004 when planning for the 2005 Major League Baseball All Star Game began, the Detroit Tigers working with the Detroit Police Department, Federal Department of Homeland Security, FBI, Michigan State Police, and other stakeholders developed a Buffer Zone Protection Plan for Comerica Park. This plan included closure of streets around Comerica Park which has been adjusted annually. In 2014, this hardened perimeter will include street closures two hours before gates open.
Here’s what you need to know for 2014:
· Guests are encouraged to arrive early to avoid a longer wait to enter the ballpark.
· As in past years, all guests will be subject to bag searches and all bags will be checked.
· Only bags that comply with MLB standards of 16x16x8 will be admitted.
- Guests will need to empty their pockets of keys, mobile phones, and other items before walking through the metal detector. Guests can opt of the walk thru metal detector screening but they will be subject to hand held metal detector screening or alternative screening procedures.
- It is suggested guests minimize the amount of items they bring to the ballpark.
- There will be no access to the ballpark from the Beer Hall or the Labatt Blue Light Jungle outside doors
PERMITTED/NON PERMITTED ITEMS
Guests will be asked to return all restricted items back to their vehicle. Guests who are caught in the park with a restricted item(s) will have the object confiscated and may be subject to ejection.
Permitted Items after inspection:
· ALL BAGS/PURSES ARE SUBJECT TO INSPECTION
· baseball mitts/gloves
· bags smaller than 16″ x 16″ x 8″ (including soft sided coolers, backpacks and diaper bags, bags cannot have a rigid interior or exterior frame)
· cameras still and video ( tri-, uni-, or mono- pods are prohibited)
· drink boxes, if you have children in your party or for medical needs
· factory sealed clear bottles of unflavored water
· Individual portion sized food or snacks (outside food is not allowed into the suites)
· plastic baby bottles if you have a child in your party
· seat cushions
· small radios
· strollers (umbrella-type that folds up and will fit underneath the seat, large strollers may be checked at Guest Services)
· umbrellas (large golf umbrellas and umbrellas with metal tips are strongly discouraged)
Non Permitted Items:
· Aerosol cans (hairspray, mace, pepper spray, etc.)
· animals (except certified service animals or service animals in training)
· bags larger than 16″ x 16″ x 8″
· baseball bats of any size
· beach balls or other inflatable items
· beverages (except juice boxes with children in your party, or for medical needs)
· bottles (glass or plastic with the exception of factory sealed clear bottles of unflavored water)
· fireworks, firearms, knives or weapons of any kind
· fishing nets or poles
· framed back
· hard sided coolers
· illegal drugs or substances of any kind
· laser devices/pointers
· liquid containers (glass or plastic with the exception of factory sealed clear bottles of unflavored water)
· markers, paint
· masks (face cannot be covered up)
· noisemaking devices: air horns, bullhorns, thunder sticks, cowbells, bells, horns, kazoos, whistles, and other noisemakers
· non-baseball related signs
· objects that can be used as missiles or projectiles: sticks, bats, clubs, Frisbees, beach balls
· obscene or indecent clothing
· skateboards or rollerblades
· squirt guns including super soakers
· sticks, including signs attached to sticks
· stools, folding chairs, stools or back supports
Guests are encouraged to take non permitted items back to their car. Items left at the gate are not the responsibility of The Detroit Tigers.