DETROIT (WWJ) – A man was killed on Detroit’s east side after being electrocuted while working with what authorities believe was an illegal electrical hookup.
The incident happened around 11 a.m. Saturday at a home in the 4800 block of Algonquin, near Warren Avenue and Connor Street.
“A gentleman was up in the tree and we believe he may have been trying to illegally hook up power to a home that we understand was vacant,” DTE Energy’s Randi Barris told WWJ’s Kathryn Larson.
The man was reportedly on fire when he fell from the tree, and was declared dead at the scene.
Barris said the tragic situation should serve as a reminder to other Detroiters of the dangers of an illegal electrical hookup.
“Those wires are live, they are not insulated. You need to leave it to the professionals. When somebody moves into a home, they need to call DTE to set up service to that home and we will take care of the rest. It is very dangerous,” she said. “And stealing power is against the law. We will prosecute that to the full extent that we can when we do find people who have stolen electricity.”
The incident remains under investigation.
Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com as this situation develops.