DETROIT (WWJ) – The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has confirmed a warrant request has been filed against a 28-year-old Tigers player accused of sexually assaulting a woman.
The prosecutor’s office declined to identify the player because charges have not yet been filed, but said the incident in question took place March 30 at Motor City Casino Hotel.
Reed has been linked to the March 30 incident and his attorney has confirmed an open investigation into the sexual assault complaint.
Prosecutors said a thorough review of the evidence will be conducted before a decision can be made. A charging decision is not expected this week.
According to reports, a 45-year-old woman claims she was drugged and then raped by Reed.
The woman alleges that she met Reed at a bar in Royal Oak, where she consumed several drinks and danced before blacking out. The next morning the woman allegedly woke up in a Motor City Casino hotel room, lying naked next to Reed in a bed. Reports say there was evidence on the sheets that the woman had been sexually assaulted. When the woman got up to take a shower, Reed apparently asked her to leave his room.
The woman allegedly didn’t realize Reed was associated with the Detroit Tigers until after the incident, which was reported to police on April 2.
Reed, who was acquired by the Tigers in April 2013, has been cooperating with investigators.