Fireworks Celebration Not All It’s Cracked Up To Be For Some Pets
DETROIT (WWJ) – This is the time of year that can send terror into the hearts of pets.
St. Clair Shores vet Dr. Gary Nash says the flash and bang of the fireworks can make pets so afraid that they overheat and even die.
Nash says you should never tell a terrified pet “that’s okay,” because it only reinforces their fear.
“They learn that the term ‘okay’ is a good term and they’ll do anything to have you tell them that.” said Nash. “So if they are panicing and being afraid of the noise in that … saying ‘okay’ encourages them to build up with this.”
“Their body temperature increases and they can go into convulsions and literally die that way if they aren’t cooled down.”
He says the key to lowering the pets distress in that situation is to cool them down immediately and consider taking them to the vet.
Instead, you can try making your own thundershirt by snugging up a shirt or towel around the pet’s middle, so that it feels like a hug.
Sedatives and white noise from TV and radio also helps.