DETROIT (WWJ) – Three months in, the I-96 construction project is on schedule.
That’s the word MDOT spokesman Jeff Horne who said, so far, they’ve completed around $60 million work of work thus far on the $140 million project.
“We have approximately 15 lane miles paved out of 58 lane miles,” Horne told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Tom Jordan. “We’re progressing as per the schedule, and we’re right on target for an October completion.”
The freeway remains completely closed in Wayne County between Newburgh and Telegraph roads.
Coming out of a pretty rough winter, was weather a challenge?
“Winter really hasn’t been an issue with the project,” Horne said. “It had an initial delay — we were supposed to start at in late March, but it got delayed two or three weeks due to the freeze/thaw…of the ground, actually.
“It rains fairly often, but that does not cause any significant delays to the project, with the contractors able to make up for lost time by adding more crews to the project, or working longer hours,” Horne said.
“It’s really being built per plan,” he added. “It’s going along smoothly.”
Horne said that 99 percent of the workforce will get they day of for July 4 — but, come Saturday and Sunday, it will be business as usual with crews out in full-force: “Seven days a week, 24 hours-a-day.”
“Please be patient,” Horne said. “We are building a roadway to last 30 to 40 years.”
[Get more details about the I-96 project, HERE].