Detroit Fire Official: Bedbugs Found In City Ambulance
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – A Detroit fire official says an emergency medical services unit is being disinfected after bed bugs were found in an ambulance.
Chief Dale Bradley said Wednesday that the fumigation of an EMS unit attached to Engine Company 54 represents a precautionary move.
According to Deputy Fire Commissioner John Berlin, the bed bugs were traced to a patient.
WXYZ-TV reported the words “Don’t Enter, Bed Bugs, Toxic,” were written on the door to the EMS rig.
This incident comes after, earlier this month, the Detroit Department of Transportation said they’d be working with City Council to address the issue of bed bugs on city buses — which are sprayed for the pests periodically.
This is not a new problem. Back in 2012, about 50 DDOT drivers reported that they had been bitten by bed bugs. Also in 2012, a court room in Detroit’s 36th District Court was evacuated after officials said a bedbug -infested man showed up for proceedings.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.