Man Electrocuted By Downed Power Line In Warren
WARREN (WWJ) – A 60-year-old Lexington, Michigan, man is dead after he was shocked by a downed power line near 8 Mile Road and Groesbeck.
Warren police and a fire crew were investigating, late Wednesday morning, outside a home on Georgiana Street.
Warren Mayor Jim Fouts said the man, a landlord at the property, jumped a chain-link fence between two homes and landed on a live wire. A co-worker knocked the man off the wire and called 911.
“People tried to give him CPR; they couldn’t save him,” said Fouts said.
The man was taken to St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital with a faint pulse, but later was pronounced dead. His name was not immediately released.
Fouts said the city is still working with DTE Energy crews to clear downed trees and debris after what he says looks like a tornado tore through Warren on Sunday.
He told WWJ he wants everyone to exercise extreme caution.
“(This was) a profound tragedy, and…we’re gonna have to do something — everybody, media and myself — to say, hey, when you see a downed power wire, even if it’s been three or four days later, don’t go near it,” Fouts said.
Ross Munger, whose son rents the house, told WWJ’s Mike Campbell that DTE was aware of the downed wire, which snapped on Sunday, and did come by to tape off the area. He added, however, that his son called DTE three more times and no repair was made.
DTE officials say residents should assume any wire is live; staying at least 20 feet away from any downed wire and anything it’s in contact with. Keep children and pets away, too, and call DTE at 800-477-4747 to report downed lines.