CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Gov. Snyder Wants FEMA To Conduct Flood Damage Assessment

View Comments
Huntington Woods (Photo: Laura Bonnell/WWJ)

Huntington Woods (Photo: Laura Bonnell/WWJ)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

LANSING (WWJ/AP) – Gov. Rick Snyder wants the Federal Emergency Management Agency to conduct a preliminary damage assessment following the flooding that ravaged parts of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties.

Snyder’s request Friday comes after the completion of initial local damage assessments and is the next step toward requesting and being eligible for federal assistance.

Snyder declared a “state of disaster” on Aug. 13 for the three counties. That designation means the state will make available all resources in cooperation with local response and recovery efforts in the disaster area.

As the damage assessment continues across metro Detroit, more numbers are flowing in.

Announced Wednesday, Wayne County estimates flood damage at $340 million.  Preliminary information shows that more than 94,000 people and 35,000 homes were affected by the flooding there, and $12 million in damage was reported at publicly owned buildings. Last week, Oakland County put their damage estimate at $337 million.

Dr. Vinny Taneja, Deputy Health Officer with the Wayne County Health Department, says daily she’s asked by desperate, devastated homeowner if and when federal dollars are coming.

“Everybody, including myself, would like it now,” Taneja said. “But, you know, you just gotta work the process and, you know, see how it goes.”

“Not everything’s under our control. I mean, we’re coordinating with several agencies — including our own Homeland Security Emergency Management — and they’re coordinating with the state entities. So all of this  takes some time and coordination to get some resources out,” he said.

Rain topping 6 inches in spots fell in the Detroit area last week, flooding thousands of homes and shutting down all five local freeways.

It was announced this week that the U.S. Department of Transportation is sending $750,000 to the Michigan Department of Transportation to help repair damaged roadways.

Snyder is urging people who’ve suffered property damages due to the flooding to report their losses as soon as possible. He encouraged residents to document their losses with photographs and receipts and then file the materials with their local governments. Get more information at this link.

MORE: Royal Oak Residents Add ‘Brown Water’ To List Of Complaints After Flooding
Flood Assistance Available For Metro Detroit Veterans
More Flood Coverage

TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,912 other followers