Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Leaves 1 Dead, 2 Critical

SPRINGFIELD, Mich. (AP) — An 11-year-old girl has died and her mother and the woman’s boyfriend are in critical condition due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning inside a southern Michigan building that was serving as a makeshift home.

The Calhoun County sheriff’s department says the victims were found Thursday night in Springfield and that a generator powering a kerosene heater caused carbon monoxide to accumulate inside the structure.

Deputies forced their way inside and found the girl, the 44-year-old man and the 41-year-old woman. The adults were hospitalized. Their names were not immediately released.

The Battle Creek Enquirer reports that a nearby resident called police, telling them a family was inside the commercial building which had no electric service.

The newspaper says signs outside the building indicate it may have been an upholstery shop.

 

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Places To See Indie Rock In DetroitIt's called Detroit Rock City for a reason.
Guide: Best Barbecue In Metro DetroitSometimes, nothing hits the spot like good barbecue.

Watch & Listen LIVE