2 Still Hospitalized After Child Killed By Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

SPRINGFIELD, Mich. (AP) – Authorities say two people remain hospitalized following an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning that killed an 11-year-old girl at a southern Michigan building that was serving as a makeshift home.

The Calhoun County sheriff’s department says the victims were found Thursday night in Springfield and a generator powering a kerosene heater caused carbon monoxide to accumulate inside the structure.

The department says Cloe Michelle Stevens was pronounced dead and her 41-year-old mother Sandee Cofer was upgraded to stable from critical condition. The department says Tuesday that Cofer’s 44-year-old boyfriend Harold Ward remains in critical condition.

Authorities say a nearby resident called police, telling them a family was inside the commercial building which had no electric service. WOOD-TV reports Children’s Protective Services previously received complaints about the safety of the girl’s housing.

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Places To See Indie Rock In DetroitIt's called Detroit Rock City for a reason.
Guide: Best Barbecue In Metro DetroitSometimes, nothing hits the spot like good barbecue.

Watch & Listen