ORION TOWNSHIP (WWJ) – A 54-year-old woman is dead in a fire that engulfed her Orion Township home early Thursday morning.

Township fire captain Robert Smith says by the time fire crews got the call around 3:15 a.m., the house and two pick up trucks outside were already ablaze.

“My gut instinct is that it was probably going for quite a while inside, and then finally got starvation of oxygen and blew out the window — and probably started up again and got to the vehicles because they were so close to the house,” said Smith.

Smith says the victim, who is not yet being named, was discovered dead in her bed. Her husband was at work when the fire broke out.

An autopsy has concluded she died of smoke inhalation.

The fire is believed to have started with some cigarette butts smoldering in a plastic garbage can.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE