“Today we personally informed the family of Aiyana Stanley–Jones that we have made a decision…”
A Detroit police officer will have to wait until next year before he learns if he’ll be tried a third time in the shooting death of a 7-year-old girl.
A decision about a third trial will be disclosed in court on Nov. 21.
Prosecutors pressed the jury for a misdemeanor conviction Tuesday after a judge dismissed a more serious charge against a Detroit police officer who is accused of recklessly handling his gun in the fatal shooting of a 7-year-old girl.
“You killed my grandbaby. You killed her and you tried to blame me,” the sobbing woman told the officer.
Prosecutors say Officer Joseph Weekley’s actions in 2010 were a crime because he handled his submachine gun in a reckless manner.
Officer Joseph Weekley’s first trial ended without a verdict in June of last year.
Jury selection starts Monday in Wayne County court, 15 months after Weekley’s first trial ended with a hung jury.
There’s no dispute Joseph Weekley’s gun went off, killing Aiyana Stanley-Jones while she slept on a couch in 2010 — but he says it was an accident.
Charles Jones, the father of seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones, who was killed in a Detroit police raid, has been sentenced in the shooting death of a Detroit teen.