The following promotion is intended for viewing in the 50 United States and D.C. only, and will be construed and evaluated according to United States laws. Do not proceed in this site if you are not a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C., 18 years or older, and accessing this site in the United States.
WWJ – SMALL BIZ Rising GRANT CHALLENGE
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE ENTRANT’S CHANCE OF WINNING.
- HOW TO ENTER
- These rules govern the WWJ Small Biz Rising Grant Challenge promotion (the “Promotion”), which is being conducted by WWJ-AM (the “Station”). The Promotion begins on February 23, 2017 and ends on April 13, 2017 (the “Promotion Dates”).
- To enter the Promotion, entrant may enter online beginning on February 23, 2017 at 4:01pm Eastern Time (“ET”) and ending on March 31, 2017 at 11:59pm ET (the “Entry Period”) as follows:
- Entrant must have the right to submit any content (“Content”), none of which may defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary rights including but not limited to copyrights or trademarks. Content must be the original work of entrant, and any elements appearing in the Content, including, without limitation, photographs, comments, art or any other materials, must be entrant’s own original work, created by entrant, or be in the public domain. Further, by participating in the Promotion, entrant grants to the Station a perpetual, royalty-free license to use and publish the Content in connection with the Promotion and for marketing and promotional purposes in any media now existing or hereafter created without any notification, opportunity to review, right of approval, or additional consideration whatsoever. Unless otherwise specified, any material, text or otherwise, included as part of the Content must be in the English language, and no personal information, including but not limited to name, image, or likeness of any person other than the entrant, or those from whom the entrant has obtained permission (or from their parents/guardians if individuals are minors), is to be included or referred to in the Content. As determined by the Station in its sole discretion, Content must not include, depict, reference or promote any indecent or inappropriate subjects or include obscenities, profanity, offensiveness, materially dangerous activities or violence, sexual explicitness, drug use, commercial products or services of third parties, material that is defamatory, disparaging, misrepresentative, discriminatory, false or misleading, or otherwise unlawful, or any material that infringes on another’s rights. The Station reserves the right to disqualify any entry that includes Content that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be indecent or inappropriate, unsuitable for public display, broadcast, or posting on any Station-administered website (i.e., entries must be radio clean), otherwise in violation of these guidelines or which communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which the Station and its sponsor(s) wish to associate. Entries that do not comply with these guidelines may not be eligible. Any Essay that exceeds the word limit above will be truncated by the Station prior to judging. All entrants must agree to the Station’s online submission release in order to submit his or her Essay.
- There will be up to a total of one (1) Grand Prize winning business selected in the Promotion.
- The Promotion is open to all persons who are legal U.S. residents 18 years of age or older, who reside in Michigan and who are small business owners or proprietors in Michigan as of 2/23/2017. Qualifying small businesses must be located within Michigan and must be privately owned and operated for-profit corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships, or sole proprietorships with up to ninety-nine (99) employees with either: (i) $1-$5 million dollars in total net sales OR (ii) in business for at least twenty-four (24) consecutive months. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Employees, officers, directors and agents of DTE Energy, Corp! Magazine, the Station, CBS Radio Inc., their corporate affiliates, Station’s advertising and promotional agencies, participating sponsors, prize suppliers, their respective affiliates (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”) and other radio stations in the greater Detroit metropolitan area, the members of their immediate families (spouse, parents, siblings or children) and those living in the same household of each (whether related or not), are ineligible to enter or win. This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. By participating, entrant agrees to comply with these Official Rules and the decisions of the Station, which are final and binding in all respects.
- The winner(s) may be required to present valid government-issued photo identification and must provide winner’s complete address, date of birth and phone number to claim a prize(s). Station reserves the right to verify the identities and businesses of any winners. Selected business owners/proprietors will be required to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility – Liability and Publicity Release prior to participating in the pitch Event described below.
- Entrants are required to provide truthful information and the Station will reject and delete any entry that it discovers to be false or fraudulent. The Station will disqualify any entrant who does not meet the eligibility requirements and will also delete any entry as required by law.
- Up to one (1) Grand Prize will be awarded. The Grand Prize winning business will receive a grant in the amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) in the form of a check issued in the name of the Grand Prize winning business, a ten thousand dollar ($10,000) advertising schedule for the business on CBS Radio Detroit (WWJ Newsradio 950, 104.3 WOMC, 99.5 WYCD, 97.1 The Ticket, 98.7 AMP Radio) and a ten thousand dollar ($10,000) advertising schedule for the business from Corp! Magazine. Approximate Retail Value of the Grand Prize is $30,000.
The Prize Check may be issued within twelve (12) weeks following winning. The Prize Check will not be awarded, processed or mailed until winner has claimed the prize, presented all required documentation, and signed all required releases and tax forms. The prize will be mailed to the Grand Prize winning business within twelve (12) weeks of owner/proprietor completing all required paperwork. The winner(s) will be solely responsible for all taxes and all other fees and expenses not specified herein associated with the receipt and use of the prize(s). The prize(s) is awarded as is.
The advertising schedule portion of the Grand Prize shall be subject to the CBS Radio’s standard terms and conditions for advertising. Advertising schedule must air in its entirety by December 31, 2017. The Station will assign an Account Executive to coordinate the details of the advertising schedule with the winning business.
The Corp! Magazine advertising schedule portion of the Grand Prize will be provided in trade advertising to be used in its entirety by December 31, 2017. Corp! will assign a account representative to coordinate details for their custom advertising package valued at $10,000. Package include print ads, digital exposure, tickets to events and graphic design assistance.
- No more than the stated number of prizes specified in these official rules will be awarded. All prizes or prize certificates must be claimed at the office of the Station at the address below during regular business hours. The winner(s) will forfeit any prize(s) or prize certificate(s) not claimed within twenty-one (21) days of winning. In the event that a prize or prize certificate is mailed or shipped to the winner(s), it will be with the prior written consent of the winner(s) and therefore, winner(s) assumes the risk of its loss. The Station is not responsible for the safe arrival of a prize(s) or prize certificate(s).
- Prize(s) is not transferable, and no substitution, assignment or cash equivalent of prize(s) is permitted, except by the Station (solely at its discretion), which reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize portion with another prize or prize portion of greater or equal value. The prize(s) are expressly limited to the item(s) listed above and unless otherwise expressly specified, do not include taxes, gratuities or any other expenses. Promotion Entities are not responsible for winners’ limitations that prevent acceptance or use of prize(s). Entrants acknowledge that the Promotion Entities have not made, and are not in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranties, representations or guarantees, and hereby disclaim any and all warranties, expressed or implied, whether by contract or law, concerning any prize, including without limitation, implied warranties of quality, merchantability, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Other restrictions may apply.
- WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION
- Decisions of the Station management with respect to the Promotion are final.
- Up to ten (10) Finalist businesses will be selected as follows:
All eligible online entries and their Essays will be judged by the WWJ Small Business Committee judging panel made up of small business specialists selected solely at the discretion of the Station on or after April 3, 2017. The judging panel will select up to the top ten (10) submissions from among all valid entries received during the Entry Period, in their sole and absolute discretion based on: originality, persuasiveness of pitch/statement, talent, and creativity of the Essay. Each selected small business will be notified via telephone and/or email. There is no prize associated with being deemed a Finalist business.
The owner/proprietor (who submitted the Essay) of each Finalist business must also attend the WWJ Small Business Event held on April 13, 2017 from 9:15am ET– 10:30 am ET at the Lawrence Technological University’s ULTC Gallery (“Event”) in order to be eligible to win the Grand Prize. In the event a representative of a potential Finalist business does not agree to attend the Event, the Station reserves the right to select an alternate Finalist business using the judging criteria above from all remaining eligible online entries received during the Entry Period.
- Up to one (1) Grand Prize winning business will be selected at the Event from the ten (10) Finalist businesses as follows:
A representative of each Finalist business must attend the Event and check in with Station staff by 8:45am ET in order to be eligible in the Event to win the Grand Prize. The representative of each Finalist business will have an opportunity to step on stage and give a ninety second (:90) “elevator pitch” followed by three and a half (3 ½) minutes of questioning from a judging panel made up of three (3) judges (“Judging Panel”). The Station, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to videotape the elevator pitches and stream the videos online (e.g., Facebook Live).
After the representative of each Finalist business has given his/her pitch and answered the judges’ questions, the Judging Panel will select one (1) Grand Prize winning business based on the following judging criteria: originality, persuasiveness of pitch/statement, talent, and creativity. The Judging Panel’s decision is made solely in its own discretion. The potential Grand Prize winning business will be announced at the conclusion of the Event.
- Entrants need not listen to the Station or be present to be deemed a Finalist business. Finalist businesses need not listen to the Station but must be present at the Event to win the Grand Prize and be deemed the Grand Prize winning business.
- Potential Finalist businesses will be contacted by telephone and/or email no later than April 5, 2017, as well as with supplemental notification provided by the Station via telephone and/or email solely at the Station’s discretion. If a potential Finalist business cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the required affidavit of eligibility and/or liability/publicity release by 5:00pm PT on April 7, 2017, or if a prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential Finalist business forfeits the right to participate in the Event. Potential Grand Prize winning business will be notified of winning onsite at the conclusion of the Event on April 13, 2017.
- Prize(s) will be awarded only upon confirmation of eligibility and completion of all requisite releases. Check prizes will be issued within twelve (12) weeks following confirmation of eligibility and completion of all requisite releases and IRS forms. The winner(s) must execute and return any required affidavit of eligibility and/or liability/publicity release within twenty-one (21) days of winning or prize(s) will be forfeited and an alternate Grand Prize winning business may be selected (time permitting) and the Grand Prize may be awarded to the Finalist business who received second at the Event. If a potential winner(s) cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the required fully-executed affidavit of eligibility and/or liability/publicity release within the required time period, or if a prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential winner forfeits the prize(s).
- Payments of all federal, state and local taxes are solely the responsibility of the winner(s) (or the grand prize winner’s business designee, if applicable). The winner(s) or its designee may be required to complete and submit an IRS Form W-9 with the winner’s full Social Security Number (or EIN) or the equivalent for receipt of any prize(s) and will be required to complete and submit an IRS Form W-9 with the winner’s full Social Security Number or the equivalent for receipt of any prize(s) valued at $600 or more or for any prizes awarded by the Station (or any other CBS Radio station in Station’s market) in a calendar year with an aggregate value of $600 or more. Failure to submit a complete W-9 or equivalent will result in forfeiture of the prize(s). Such winnings of $600 or more will be reported to the IRS.
- Participation in the Promotion and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes entrant’s and/or winner’s (and guest’s, if applicable) permission for the Station or its designees to interview the winner(s) (or guest(s), if applicable), to photograph, film and record each winner (or guest, if applicable), and to use in commerce and in any media, now or hereafter known, throughout the world, in perpetuity, his/her name, prize(s) won, hometown (city and state), biographic information, likeness, photograph, voice, audio or video recording and/or any statements made by him/her regarding the Station, the Promotion and/or its sponsor(s) for purposes of trade, publicity or promotion without notice or additional compensation, notification or permission, in perpetuity, except where prohibited by law. Each winner (and guest, if applicable) agrees to sign a publicity release confirming such consent prior to acceptance of the prize, except where prohibited by law.
- Participation in the Promotion and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes entrant’s and/or winner’s (and guest’s, if applicable) agreement to release, discharge, and hold harmless the Promotion Entities and their respective officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives and all of their successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims or liability arising directly or indirectly from any prize(s) awarded and participation in the Promotion, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death or damage to or loss of property, which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the Promotion, or delivery, possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of any prize or participation in any Promotion-related activity, including, but not limited to, any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery.
- If for any reason this Promotion cannot be executed as planned, including but not limited to, as a result of infection by computer virus, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Released Parties that corrupt or affect the security, administration, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Promotion, or if the Promotion is compromised or becomes technically corrupted in any way, electronically or otherwise, the Station reserves the right to cancel, terminate, suspend and/or modify the Promotion. If the Promotion is terminated before the original end date, the Station reserves the right, in its sole discretion to, to modify the procedure for selecting winner(s), unless the nature of the event giving rise to such termination renders it impossible to select winner(s).
- The Released Parties are not responsible for (i) typographical or other errors in the printing, the offering or the administration of the Promotion or in the announcement of a prize(s); (ii) incorrect or inaccurate entry information, human error, failure or omission; (iii) unauthorized human intervention; (iv) lost, stolen, mangled, misdirected, postage due, illegible, incomplete or late entries; (v) entries not received due to difficulty accessing the internet, service outage or delays, computer difficulties, telephone service outages, delays, busy signals, poor signals or signal interference, accidental disconnection or equipment malfunctions or any other technological problems or failures of any kind; or (vi) any cancellations, delays, diversions, substitutions or omissions whatsoever by any transportation providers or any other persons or entities providing any services to winner(s) (and guest(s), if applicable) including any results thereof such as changes in services or location necessitated by same. Further, the Released Parties are not responsible if any part of a Promotion prize cannot be awarded due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather, acts of terrorism or other factors beyond the Released Parties’ control.
- Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins or any other methods may void that entrant’s entries and that entrant may be disqualified. The use of any device to automate entry is prohibited. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents (including, but not limited to, promotion entry services or proxies) will void all entries by that entrant at the Station’s discretion. The Station’s or its Promotion administrator’s computer or telephone system is the official time keeping device for this Promotion. In the event of a dispute, online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the Authorized Account Holder. The “Authorized Account Holder” is the natural person who (i) is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address or (ii) is assigned to the text or mobile telephone number by a telecommunications provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning such numbers. The Station, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person who it believes is tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion. Failure to comply with the rules of the Promotion may result in an entrant’s disqualification and/or forfeiture of any prize or prizes. If the Station makes a good faith determination that an entrant has cheated or committed fraudulent activity in connection with a Promotion, the Station may disqualify that entrant from entering and/or winning this and any or all future Station-administered Promotions and seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- The Station reserves the right to make changes to the rules of the Promotion, including, without limitation, the substitution of a prize(s) of equivalent value, which will become effective upon announcement. If due to circumstances beyond the control of the Promotion Entities, any competition or prize-related event or travel is delayed, rescheduled, postponed or cancelled, the Station reserves the right, but not the obligation, to cancel, terminate, suspend or modify the Promotion and shall not be required to award a substitute prize(s).
- Except where prohibited, by entering the Promotion, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion or any prize(s) awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in New York, NY; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event shall such costs include attorneys’ fees; and (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including, without limitation, lost profits may be awarded (collectively, “Special Damages”), and (4) entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages and all rights to have any damages awarded multiplied or increased. New York law governs the interpretation and construction of these Official Rules and all aspects related thereto.
For a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope (VT residents may omit return postage) for receipt by April 13, 2017 to “WWJ Small Business Grant Challenge – Official Rules,” Attn: Promotions, WWJ, 26455 American Drive, Southfield, MI 48034. For the names of the prize winner(s) send a self-addressed stamped envelope for receipt by June 13, 2017 to the above address marked “WWJ Small Business Grant Challenge – Winner List.” The Official Rules and the Winner List (when completed) shall also be available during regular business hours at the main offices of the Station and may be posted online at cbsdetroit.com.
Administrator: WWJ 950, 26455 American Drive, Southfield, MI 48034
PROMOTIONAL CONSIDERATION PROVIDED BY:
DTE ENERGY, 1 Energy Plaza, Detroit, MI 48226.
Corp! Magazine, 27700 Hoover Road, Warren, MI 48093
DTE ENERGY is not sponsor of this Promotion and is in no way responsible for the administration of the Promotion or the verification of winners. All inquiries regarding the Promotion should be directed to the Station not to DTE ENERGY.