DETROIT (WWJ) – An important day at Detroit City Hall, as decision time nears for the City Council on what it will do with Mayor Dave Bing’s proposed budget compromise.

Earlier this month, the Council voted 8-1 to cut an additional $50 million beyond Bing’s budget recommendation.

READ MORE: MDHHS Urges Michigan Residents To Take Precautions To Prevent Tick Bites

The mayor wants the $50 million in previous cuts restored to the city’s $3.1 billion budget to save hundreds of police and firefighter jobs, along with the People Mover and Sunday bus service. Bing has said these are areas that may have to be trimmed back in order to save money.

The vote is set for high noon Friday as the budget showdown enters what could be its final stage, with the June 30 deadline looming.

READ MORE: Sheriff Bouchard Says 'We Are Here For You' To Oakland County Communities After Texas Shooting

The question is, will the city council approve the mayor’s budget amendments, which would restore at least $30 million in drastic cuts. WWJ’s City Beat Reporter Vickie Thomas put that question to City Council President Charles Pugh.

“It’s anybody’s guess, it sounds like, as to which way council is going to go,” Thomas said.

“Well, you know, I don’t know. I’m going to be honest with you, I’ve tried to poll my colleagues and see…but it’s tough, it’s a tough call. If there are five votes that will approve these amendments, will there be only four votes?” Pugh answered.

MORE NEWS: Police: Michigan Man Poured Maple Syrup Into Woman’s Fuel Tank

Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com for the latest on the Detroit budget battle.