City Honors Officers In Detroit Precinct Attack
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – More than a dozen police officers were honored, Thursday, by Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee and City Council for their bravery last month when a gunman opened fire inside the city’s sixth precinct.
Four wounded officers, including 6th Precinct Cmdr. Brian Davis who is credited as a hero, received the Wound Award and Medal for their actions during a Jan. 23 gun battle at the west side building.
Davis, two sergeants and an officer were shot in the exchange with 38-year-old Lamar Moore before he was fatally wounded.
Speaking at Thursday’s ceremony, Davis said the entire precinct acted as a family after the shooting.
“We would not allow a lone gunman to interrupt that. We would not. In fact, instances like this in the department do not weaken us, it strengthens us,” Davis said.
Choking back tears, Cheif Godbee said he asked Davis to delay retirement when he was made Chief. He said he believed God was at work during that decision, because Davis was credit with saving lives on the day of the rampage.
A 68-second video of the attack shows Moore walking into the precinct and opening fire with a shotgun.
Police have not released a motive behind the attack, but say allegations had been made that Moore had kidnapped and had sex with a 13-year-old girl.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.