CANTON (WWJ) – A 15-year-old is being charged as a juvenile with two counts of threat of terrorism after leaving threatening notes at the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park.
The educational park, which is home to the Plymouth-Canton District’s three high schools, was locked down twice this week after notes were found Monday and Wednesday.
WWJ and Fox 2 Legal Analyst Charlie Langton says the so-called “Threat of Terrorism” law is fairly new, and hasn’t really been tested yet. But Langton says this teen COULD be facing some serious jail time, if he’s convicted:
“Whether or not he’ll go to jail depends on how serious this threat is, until we know exactly what the note said, and whether or not this kid had the means to carry out this plot, we don’t know yet enough evidence,” said Langton.
The suspect’s name has not yet been released — he’s due back in court on October 20th.
Two threatening notes, found on separate days earlier this week, prompted lockdowns on the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park campus.
Speaking to WWJ on Thursday, Canton Police Lt. Scott Hilden encouraged students not to be afraid to get involved and come forward with tips. “The seriousness of the offense …nobody should be trying to cover for anybody,” said Hilden.