Suspect Arrested In I-96 Shooting Spree

View Comments
Sketch of freeway shooting suspect.

Sketch of freeway shooting suspect.

WIXOM (WWJ) - Authorities say a suspect in the four-county random shooting spree has been arrested.

A Wixom man was brought into custody for questioning after investigators got a tip and went to the man’s house with a search warrant Monday night. His dark grey-colored car was taken by police, along with several items from the home.

Wixom police said prosecutor offices in Oakland, Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties along with the U.S. Attorney’s office will be reviewing the case and determining what charges to bring in the case.

The man’s neighbor, Denise Fortin, told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Ron Dewey she is skeptical.

“All I can say is I wish police would interview the neighbors who live next door, because I could tell them that that car rarely left the driveway, the man rarely leaves his home. So, I don’t think he’s the guy,” she said.

Fortin said her neighbor doesn’t seem like a person who would take pot shots at other people.

“I don’t know him, really. I’ve spoken to him a few times, you know, just neighborly. He’s got a two-year-old daughter, you know, he’s a very good family man. He lives here with his in-laws, he and his wife live here with her parents,” she said.

The 24 known shooting incidents occurred between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27. While nearly half the incidents were in Wixom, shootings have been reported over a 100 mile stretch of roadway through Oakland, Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties.

CLICK HERE to see a complete rundown of where and when the shootings occurred.

So far, only one person has been struck by a bullet. That man, who was shot in his backside while driving on I-96 last Saturday near the Fowlerville exit, is recovering from his injury.

Law enforcement officials suggested that the shootings involve one person armed with a semiautomatic handgun. They say ballistic evidence supports their theory that all shots fired came from the same weapon.

The suspect is believed to have fired a handgun at moving cars from a vehicle – described by witnesses as resembling a dark 1998 Oldsmobile Alero or a 1998 Toyota Camry.

Police said the suspect has been described as a white male in his late twenties or early thirties. One witness described him as “clean-shaven.” However, officials said it is possible he may change his appearance.

Police believe the suspect has spent a considerable amount of time in, or is otherwise familiar with, the areas where the shootings occurred.

A reward of $102,000 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Wixom Police Department at 248-624-6114 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP. You can also submit a tip online at www.1800speakup.org, or text “CSM” and your tip to CRIMES (274637).

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,935 other followers